Thursday, July 8, 2010

Kid thinking

Been working on the nonfiction picture book series I'm under contract for. It's been very interesting to find all the information for each book and try to think like a kid. I'm not used to writing nonfiction as much for kids as I am for adults, but this topic peaks my interest, or I wouldn't have suggested it.

It's been a long time since I've been a kid, and more than a dozen years since my daughter was the age I'm writing for. Times have changed, kids have changed in what they watch and know and read and how they learn information. But then again, kids are the same, especially the littler ones, in their desires to learn and be challenged and the way they ooh and ahh at new information.

I really enjoy writing middle-grade novels, but have also found it great fun (and challenging) working on pieces for the younger kids.

This writing for kids is full of wonder and information and I'm still glad I get to be a part of it.

Looking forward to my first series, WENDY'S WEATHER WARRIORS coming out this September from ABDO books. It's chapter book fiction but also factual information throughout and at the end, including weather experiments kids can do in class or at home. Check out my website at www.kathrynlay.com to see the fun covers and read about the 6 books.

No comments: